Siri has been a very important part of iOS since its introduction with the iPhone 4S. This personal digital assistant is able to do all sorts of things for you at your command, such as place phone calls, send text messages, set up reminders, or make dining reservations… among many other, lesser-known things. One of these less commonly used features is to find and play movie trailers! Movie trailers have had a special place in Apple’s heart for many years, going back to their Apple movie trailers website, and extending into modern times with dedicated apps on our iOS devices and Apple TV to play these video clips. They have a great resource to find the latest clips or some classic favourites. Considering this historical relationship, it should come as no surprise that finding and playing a movie trailer can be as simple as asking Siri to do it for you!
Here’s how to use Siri to watch movie trailers:
- Launch Siri by pressing and holding the Home button on your iOS device. (Before iOS 7, you could let go of the button and Siri would begin listening. However, from iOS 7 and onwards, you can continue to hold the button for as long as you have something to say to Siri, so that she won’t cut you off before you are done!)
- Ask Siri to play a movie trailer for whatever movie you are interested in. Try something like “Play the trailer for Guardians of the Galaxy.” Interestingly, Siri replied that she can’t help me with videos if I worded my request as “Play the movie trailer…” It has to be “Play the trailer…” Correct me if I’m wrong!
- If Siri understood exactly what movie you were referencing, she will start playing the trailer right away, completely automatically!
- If Siri requires more information, you will be presented with a list of movies from which to make your choice. Try “Play the trailer for Transformers” or “Play the trailer for Superman”. You can tap to make your selection, or you can tap the Siri button again and just speak your selection!
- If there is no such movie trailer available, Siri will simply tell you “There’s no trailer available for…. ”, and instead just serve up a movie poster and some information about the movie.
This is another great example of how Siri can take a multi-step process, such as searching for, finding, and selecting a movie trailer, and reduce it down to often a single voice command. It certainly is a great example of how using an app can simplify your life!